Highlights: Soft, simple, 8-inch organic wool futon encased in organic cotton. Great for lighter adults, children, side sleepers, and for sitting. Available in custom sizes!
At a glance:
- Pricing: $5,340 – $7,394 (8-inch Queen $6,154 – though $1,538 on sale at time of writing!)
- Materials: GOTS organic wool
- Certifications: Oeko-Tex, GOTS (wool)
- Sleep Trial: 30-day comfort exchange
- Depth: 8-inch
- Sizes: Twin, Twin Xl, Full/Double, Queen, Eastern King, Cali King
- Best for: Lighter adults and kids
- Soft and suitable for lighter adults, children, and for sitting
- Totally organic and chemical-free
- No prescription needed
- 8-inch depth
- Made by hand in San Francisco
- Compresses more easily than cotton
- Requires more care than a regular mattress
- Not suitable for heavier or larger adults or teens
The Teddy Organic Wool Futon Mattress is an 8-inch futon comprising solely organic wool filling. It offers soft support, making it a good choice for side sleepers and for sitting, or for smaller individuals and children.
Each mattress is made by hand in San Francisco, including the felting of the organic wool, building, and tufting the mattress.
What’s in it?
The Teddy is a rare mattress filled entirely with GOTS organic wool and encased in GOTS organic cotton. There are no chemical flame retardants, other hazardous chemicals, or any synthetic materials in this futon.
Why we love the Teddy from TFS
The Teddy Organic Wool Mattress is entirely organic and a great sleep surface for lighter adults and children.
It offers impressive support for body temperature control, muscle relaxation and deep REM sleep, thanks to the natural qualities of wool.
What we don’t love
The Teddy is quite a bit heavier than the 3- and 5-inch Shikibuton options from TFS. The twin-size weighs in at 54 lb. and the Cali King is 90 lb.
Wool also compresses more easily than cotton and PLA, meaning you’ll need to take care to rotate the Teddy regularly, especially in the first few weeks of use. It’s also not ideal as a mattress for every night use and is better suited for occasional use. The Teddy is also too soft for stomach-sleepers, most back-sleepers, and heavier adults or teens.
The Teddy is also very expensive, though often on sale.