The Leaf Score Guide to Mattresses not only helps you figure out which kind of mattress might be best for your sleep style, body weight, and comfort preferences, it also includes in-depth mattress brand reviews. Here, we offer insights into the mattresses we recommend as eco-friendly, non-toxic, and better for people, planet, and catching some Zzzs.
Table of Contents
Led by our Head of Research, Leigh Matthews, the Leaf Score team has spent hundreds of research hours finding the best organic, and non-toxic mattresses, and personally testing our top picks. At the foundation of this process is verifying mattress certifications by communicating with brands directly, and scoring each product using our leaf rating system. In addition to product reviews, we publish informational content, like our primer on the environmental issues with traditional foam mattresses, so our readers can make informed buying decisions.
Read more about our process below. For now, though, here are our top mattress brand reviews, with specific reviews for individual mattresses we know and love.
- Avocado Eco Organic [Staff Tested]
- Avocado Green (and Vegan) [Staff Tested]
- Awara Natural Hybrid Mattress [Staff Tested]
- Eco Terra Latex Mattress
- Essentia Mattress
- Evaya Mattress [Staff Tested]
- Happsy Organic Mattress
- Naturepedic EOS Organic Mattress
- Nolah Natural Mattress [Staff Tested]
- Obasan Organic Mattress
- OMI (Lifekind) Latex Mattresses
- PlushBeds Luxury Bliss Innerspring Mattress
- PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Mattress [Staff Tested]
- PlushBeds Natural Bliss (Vegan) Mattress
- Rawganique Organic Mattresses
- Savvy Rest Serenity Spring
- Savvy Rest Serenity Organic Latex Mattress
- Soaring Heart Mattresses
- Spindle Latex Mattress [Staff Tested]
See also: The Best Organic & Non-Toxic Mattresses.
Mattress topper reviews
If you’re considering a new mattress with a topper or are looking to revamp an older mattress with a new topper, check out our mattress topper reviews first. Here, we look at the design and materials of the best eco-friendly mattress toppers around. We assess their firmness, comfort, and pressure-relief capabilities, ask how durable they are, and offer guidance on which mattress topper might best suit different sleep styles.
Eco-friendly mattress brand comparisons
In addition to reviews of mattress brands and their specific mattresses, we also offer comparisons of major organic mattress brands. These comparisons look more closely at key differences between how mattresses are designed and made and how they’re rated by folks who’ve actually slept on them for months or years.
These kinds of comparisons are especially helpful if you’re torn between two mattresses that appear to be equally non-toxic and eco-friendly. Who knows, you may find that one, key, detail (a sturdy zipper, weirdly placed logo, third side handle) that tips the balance and helps you avoid disappointment and have years of satisfying sleep.
- Essentia vs. Naturepedic Mattresses: Comparing Key Features
- Avocado Mattress vs. the Competition: Who Wins?
Non-toxic, eco-friendly crib mattress reviews
The Leaf Score family has many new (and adorable!) additions these days, and our tiniest team members also deserve a non-toxic, eco-friendly mattress.
- Naturepedic Organic Cotton Quilted Deluxe Crib Mattress
- Naturepedic Organic Cotton Classic Lightweight Crib Mattress
- Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress [Staff Tested]
- Naturalmat Quilted Coco Mat Crib Mattress
- Soaring Heart Organic Crib Mattress
- Nook Pebble Pure Crib Mattress
- My Green Mattress Emily Crib Mattress
- OMI Organic Innerspring Crib Mattress
- Savvy Rest The Savvy Baby Crib Mattress
- Lullaby Earth Crib Mattresses.
Where possible, we offer first-hand experiences of the mattresses we review, and have tested most of our top picks. As part of our ethical review framework, however, we don’t just acquire mattresses, sleep on them once or twice, and then send them to landfill, like some review sites. This is horribly unsustainable, with massive amounts of carbon emissions associated with sending these heavy and bulky products across the U.S. and around the world.
Instead, we encourage Leaf Score team members to provide genuine reviews whenever they acquire a new mattress to replace one that’s no longer usable. Expect our ‘Staff tried and tested’ content to grow as the Leaf Score family grows. Speaking of which, if you’re looking for a crib mattress for your newest family member, we’ve got you covered for crib mattress reviews too!
Our mattress brand reviews look at the companies behind the mattresses, examining their ethics and manufacturing processes, packaging, and more. After all, even organic and non-toxic mattresses may be made by companies that aren’t run ethically and that have a poor track record for looking after their workers, nearby communities, and the environment.