The Futon Shop Organic Cotton Futon Mattress
Highlights: A soft- to medium-firm organic cotton futon available in a range of sizes including as a loveseat. Best for occasional use for sleeping by stomach and side sleepers. Made by hand in the U.S. using sustainable, renewable, certified organic and natural materials.
At a glance:
- Pricing: $1,555 – $2,317 (6-inch Queen $1,742 – though $697 on sale at time of writing!)
- Materials: USDA organic cotton, potato starch-derived PLA, GOTS cotton cover or poly cotton cover
- Certifications: USDA organic, GOTS (for cover), Oeko-Tex
- Sleep Trial: 30-day comfort exchange
- Depth: 6-inch
- Sizes: Twin, Twin Xl, Single, Full/Double, Queen, Eastern King, Cali King, Queen Loveseat, Twin Loveseat, Full Loveseat
- Best for: Most lighter to average weight adults and kids
- Available in a wide range of sizes
- Wool-free and vegan but no prescription needed!
- Soft enough for sitting and for lighter adults
- Not firm enough for heavier adults
- No returns (exchanges only)
If you’re looking for a soft to medium-firm futon mattress, the Organic Cotton Futon Mattress from The Futon Shop is a great choice.
What’s in it?
The Organic Cotton Futon from TFS comprises six inches of USDA Organic Cotton sandwiched between two layers of PLA fiber derived from potato starch. The futon has a GOTS organic cotton cover (or poly cotton ticking if you prefer), The mattress is Oeko-Tex 100 certified.
Why we love the Organic Cotton Futon from TFS
Simple and soft for sitting, this mattress is great for side-sleepers and stomach-sleepers who are light to average weight. It offers medium-firm support and a decent amount of depth for a futon.
We also love that this 6-inch mattress is wool-free and vegan but available without prescription, thanks to those PLA layers.
What we don’t love
The Organic Cotton futon isn’t firm enough for most folks weighing more than 230 lbs., and may bottom out for larger side-sleepers.
As a traditional futon mattress, the organic cotton futon needs to be aired out, flipped, and rotated weekly. TFS recommends that you do this twice a week for the first two months.
The mattress is also quite heavy, though not as heavy as a straight cotton futon. The twin-size weighs 54 lbs. while the king-size weighs 90 lbs.