Highlights: Firm futon mattress handmade in the U.S. using U.S.-grown organic cotton with a wool wrap as a natural flame barrier. Available from Twin to Cali King in a variety of depths.
At a glance:
- Pricing: $710 – $5,093 (5-inch Queen $2,914)
- Materials: USDA organic cotton, wool, nylon thread
- Certifications: USDA organic
- Sleep Trial: N/A and no returns
- Depth: 1.5-inch massage mat, 3-inch Stowaway, 5-inch Futon, 6-inch Mattress, 7-inch Mattress, 8-inch Mattress
- Sizes: Twin, Full/Double, Queen, Eastern King, Twin XL, and Cali King, cushion/mattress sample available
- Best for: Average to heavier adult stomach-sleepers and some back-sleepers
- Available in a wide range of sizes and depths
- Includes wool flame barrier (no prescription needed)
- Comprises 95% organic cotton (USDA)
- Made in the U.S. using U.S.-grown cotton
- Custom made to order
- Sample cushion available
- Ships faster than the Pastoral Savvy Rest futon
- Suitable for every night use
- Very expensive
- Too firm for most adults, especially lighter individuals
- Not vegan (see Fairhaven below)
- Not GOTS certified
- Wool isn’t certified organic
- Very heavy in larger sizes!
The Zen Sleeper from Rawganique is a fantastic organic cotton and wool futon that offers firm support. It’s a great choice for average weight to heavier adults who like a firmer mattress, such as stomach-sleepers and some back-sleepers. Lighter adults may find this mattress too hard, as will most side-sleepers.
What’s in it?
The Zen Sleeper is mostly made of organic cotton (95%), but Rawganique includes a layer of organic wool (5%) as a natural flame retardant. This means you don’t need a prescription for a mattress thicker than 5-inch, unlike with the pure cotton options from Rawganique.
The Zen Sleeper has 15% more fill than the Farmstead futon mattress from Rawganique, to make it firmer and better suited for heavier adults.
All of the cotton in these mattresses is grown in the US and is USDA certified organic. Even the thread used to sew it together is organic cotton, though the tufts are cotton-covered nylon thread for strength.
Why we love the Rawganique Zen Sleeper
Rawganique makes each Zen Sleeper to order in the U.S., using cotton grown in the U.S. This means your new futon is genuinely new and hasn’t been sitting around in a warehouse for months gathering dust.
The Zen Sleeper is available in a wide variety of sizes and depths. You can even order a sample cushion to get a sense of the materials and construction first. This is great for anyone with concerns over possible allergies and comfort, and the sample is a fantastic meditation cushion in itself!
What we don’t love
The 8-inch Cali King Zen Sleeper weighs a stonking 185 lb. This isn’t surprising, given the firmness of this cotton and wool futon, but it is worth bearing in mind if you might struggle with a heavy mattress.
Because each futon is made to order, it can take a while for the Zen Sleeper to ship. Typically, you’ll get a shipping notice within 10-14 days of your order.
One other downside of the Rawganique futon is that it’s non-returnable. This makes sense for a custom-made product comprising natural materials but is still disappointing. Note that Rawganique also sells a zippered organic cotton barrier mattress cover; a worthwhile investment if you anticipate spills.
The Zen Sleeper is also on the pricier side for a futon, albeit one made entirely of organic cotton. Still, for this price, we’d love to see more robust GOTS certification for the cotton and wool.
If you’d prefer a vegan version of this futon, check out the Rawganique Fairhaven Futon.