Highlights: A medium-firm vegan futon made entirely of USDA certified organic cotton. Available in thicknesses 1.5-inch to 8-inch and sizes Twin to Cali king. Made to order in the U.S.
At a glance:
- Pricing: $522 – $4,246 (5-inch Queen $2,350)
- Materials: USDA organic cotton, nylon thread
- Certifications: USDA organic
- Sleep Trial: N/A and no returns
- Depth: 1.5-inch massage mat, 3-inch Stowaway, 5-inch Futon, 6-inch Mattress, 7-inch Mattress, 8-inch Mattress
- Sizes: Twin, Full/Double, Queen, Eastern King, Twin XL, and Cali King, cushion/mattress sample available
- Best for: Most adults and kids
- Latex-free and wool-free
- Available in a wide variety of sizes and depths
- Made with organic cotton only
- Less firm than the Zen Sleeper and suitable for most adults and kids
- Ships faster than the Pastoral Savvy Rest futon
- Suitable for every night use
- Doctor’s prescription required for futons 5-inch or deeper
- Only USDA organic, not GOTS
- Nylon thread used for tufting
- Very heavy
The Rawganique Homesteader Futon is a vegan-friendly futon offering medium-firm support. Like its firmer counterpart, the Fairhaven, this mattress doesn’t contain any wool or latex and is available in sizes twin to Cali King and in various thicknesses 1.5-inch to 8-inch.
What’s in it?
The Homesteader comprises 100% organic cotton. That’s it! (Well, aside from a little nylon thread to tuft it together.)
Rawganique uses U.S.-grown cotton with USDA organic certification.
If you don’t need a vegan futon, check out the Rawganique Farmstead Futon, made exactly the same way as the Homesteader, just with a wool wrap as a flame barrier.
Why we love the Rawganique Homesteader Futon
The Homesteader is a fantastic choice for vegans and non-vegans alike. It is simple, stylish, and sustainably made in America using organic cotton grown in the U.S. Rawganique has been making this futon style since 1997, so it’s a very tried, tested, and loved futon.
Every Homesteader is made to order and ships within 10-14 days.
What we don’t love
The Homesteader is heavy! An 8-inch Cali King weighs 186 lb., making it a hefty mattress that’s quite hard to move.
Because this mattress is made with cotton only and no wool or chemical flame retardants, you’ll need a valid U.S. doctor’s prescription (stating wool allergy) to purchase a futon of 5-inch depth or more. This is because mattresses deeper than five inches have to contain certain materials to meet federal flammability requirements.