Looking for an organic, non-toxic mattress that doesn’t use wool? Here are our top picks for 100% vegan mattresses.
Table of Contents
Veganism encompasses more than just what we eat. For vegans like myself (19 years and counting!), the choice to avoid products derived from animal exploitation also extends to our clothes, shoes, cosmetics, toiletries, furniture, and, yes, what we sleep on and in.
Here are our top choices for vegan mattresses for 2023, all made without wool or other animal products.
Curious about how we rate products? Click here to view our methodology, which at its core, is about voting with our dollars to fight climate change.
The best way to look for a non-toxic mattress is to verify that a mattress carries robust third-party certifications. These should ensure that a mattress is free from VOCs, chemicals flame retardants, formaldehyde, and other hazardous chemicals that off-gas.
In formulating this list of the best vegan mattresses, we looked for the rare mattress with Made Safe certification, alongside GOTS, GOLS, and Eco Institut certifications.
The Made Safe certification screens products for more than 6,500 banned or Restricted List substances. The organization behind Made Safe maintains a Red List of prohibited chemicals significantly larger than the European Union’s restricted list of substances. This list is also hundreds of times larger than those maintained by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency combined.
Eco Institut is arguably even more robust than Made Safe as it involves physically testing mattresses and other products for hazardous chemicals, rather than relying on mattress makers to be honest about the materials and chemicals that make up their products.
Most mattress listicles rely too heavily on Greenguard Gold, a certification which carries some weight, but which has become less useful for consumers.
The best vegan mattresses for 2023
Highlights: An affordable, non-toxic, eco-friendly, and customizable vegan mattress. Dual-firmness options available. Swap out layers to adjust comfort even years after buying!
Naturepedic is offering LeafScore readers 15% off their purchase using coupon code LEAFSCORE15 at checkout.
At a glance:
- Pricing (vegan EOS): $2,199 – $4,299 (Queen is $3,499)
- Materials: Organic cotton, organic latex, pocket coils
- Certifications: PETA-approved vegan, GOTS, GOLS, Made Safe, GreenGuard Gold, Formaldehyde-Free (UL, Member of the Green Business Network in Green America, Organic Fraud Prevention Partner, 1% for the Planet, Rainforest Alliance, FSC
- Sleep Trial: 100-night sleep trial
- Firmness: Customizable (plush, medium, cushion-firm, firm, extra-firm) / dual-firmness available
- Depth: 12-inch
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Double/Full, Queen, King, Cali King
- Best for: Everyone!
- PETA-approved vegan mattress with tons of customization options
- Can choose from five firmness levels
- Dual-firmness options available
- Swap out layers to adjust firmness later
- GOTS, GOLS, and Made Safe certified non-toxic
- Made in the U.S.
- Suitable for all adults and sleep styles
- No handles
- Home assembly required
- Excessive plastic packaging
The Naturepedic EOS® (Ergonomic Organic Sleep) Series includes a vegan version of the Classic EOS. This is an affordable, non-toxic, eco-friendly, and highly customizable vegan mattress.
The Vegan EOS comprises an organic cotton cover with zipper, organic cotton and PLA batting (made from sugarcane), a customizable comfort latex layer, and a layer of pocket coils.
Thanks to the smart design, you can continue to customize and rejig the Vegan EOS even years after your purchase. This is much more eco-friendly (and affordable) than replacing a full mattress if your sleep needs change.
Choose the Vegan EOS in any standard size up to Cali King and in Extra Firm, Firm, Cushion Firm, Medium, or Plush. You can also choose dual-firmness, in case you and your partner have different sleep needs.
The Vegan EOS is GOTS and GreenGuard Gold certified, PETA-approved vegan, Made Safe certified, and made by an eco-friendly, sustainable company.
Highlights: Non-toxic, organic, totally vegan mattress made to order in the USA. Certified GOTS and GOLS, plus GreenGuard Gold and available up to 12-inches deep.
At a glance:
- Pricing: $2,799 – $5,048 (10-inch Queen $3,899 – $2,699 on sale at time of writing!)
- Materials: GOTS cotton, GOLS latex, hydrated silica and plant fibers
- Certifications: GOTS, GOLS, GreenGuard Gold, EcoInstitut
- Sleep Trial: 100-night sleep trial
- Firmness: Medium / Medium-Firm
- Depth: 8-, 10-, and 12-inch options
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, Split Queen, Split King, Split Cal King
- Best for: Everyone!
- Excellent value for money
- Wide range of meaningful green certifications
- Available in medium and medium-firm
- Free of toxic chemicals
- Wide range of sizes, including split sizes available
- Sturdy handles!
- Lacks sustainable packaging
- No dual firmness options as standard
- Not MadeSafe certified
The Natural Bliss is another top choice for a quality vegan mattress that’s non-toxic, organic, and eco-friendly. This affordable and customizable mattress is available in medium and medium-firm and in split sizes up to Cali King. Lighter adults and kids can choose the 8-inch build, while average to heavier adults will do best with the 10-inch or 12-inch options.
The Plushbeds Natural Bliss Vegan Mattress has an organic cotton cover with zipper, containing layers of soft Talalay for the comfort layer and ultra-dense Arpico latex for robust core support. This wool-free mattress is also free of toxic chemical flame retardants and has a natural fire barrier made from hydrated silica and plant fibers.
See also: Tesla vegan leather interiors
PlushBeds makes every Natural Bliss to order in its GOTS factory in the U.S., using U.S. grown cotton and EcoInstitut and GOLS latex. The company offers free shipping and free returns, a 100-night sleep trial, free comfort exchange program, and a Lifetime Warranty.
PlushBeds is offering LeafScore readers $100 off their purchase using coupon code LEAF100 at checkout. This stacks with ongoing sales, so make sure to take advantage of it!
Highlights: A very high quality, sustainably made, 100% Vegan mattress. Button-tufted by hand to avoid the need for chemical adhesives.
At a glance:
- Pricing: $1,399 – $2,599 (Queen is $1,999, or $2,499 with pillow-top)
- Materials: Organic Fair Trade cotton, organic Dunlop latex, upcycled steel coils
- Certifications: Vegan Action, GOTS, GOLS, Made Safe, GreenGuard Gold, Climate Neutral certified, FSC, Responsible Wool Standard, Formaldehyde Free (UL), Eco Institut, Fair Trade, 1% for the Planet, B Corporation, Sustainable Furnishings Council
- Sleep Trial: 365-night sleep trial
- Firmness: Medium-firm (gentle-firm with pillow-top)
- Depth: 11-inch (13-inch with pillow-top)
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cali King
- Best for: Vegans who want a ready-made mattress!
- U.S.-made and highly certified
- Ships in recycled packaging and some paper
- Vegan action certified
- Full edge support and zoning for spinal posture
- Lighter than an all-latex mattress
- Heavy duty handles
- No chemical flame retardants or synthetic fire sock used
- No home assembly needed
- No dual firmness options or firmness customization
- Pillow-top option is built in (no flexibility)
- Could use extra handles on larger sizes
The Avocado Vegan Mattress is made from Eco-Institut certified 100 percent natural Dunlop latex, recycled steel coils, and GOTS-certified organic cotton. These mattresses are button-tufted by hand to avoid the need for chemical adhesives; this also makes the Avocado Vegan Mattress very durable and robust.
In lieu of a wool flame barrier or chemical flame retardants, Avocado adds more cotton batting and infuses the latex with graphite as a natural, non-toxic fire retardant.
We love that Avocado now ships its Vegan Mattress in less plastic, having replaced some of the wrap with paper instead. We also love the 365-night sleep trial, carbon neutral free shipping, and the 25-year warranty.
The biggest draw of the Avocado Vegan Mattress for some will be the impressive number of coils and the coil unit design. Avocado uses extra coils at the perimeter for full edge support, and uses coils of different gauges to create five zones that fully support proper spinal posture. This makes the Avocado Vegan equivalent to the Avocado Green and suitable for most adult sleepers, including adults needing more lumbar support or hip and shoulder support.
The mattresses below are absolutely worth considering but don’t carry Eco Institut or Made Safe certifications.
Highlights: All-latex, all vegan, organic mattresses to suit all kinds of sleepers. Made in Canada in GOTS factory, with custom size mattresses available!
At a glance:
- Pricing: from $2,448 – $14,750+ ($3,272 for a Queen Tatami)
- Materials: Organic cotton, organic Dunlop latex, Kevlar fire safety sleeve, water-based glues
- Certifications: GOTS, GOLS, GreenGuard Gold, Oeko-Tex, EuroLatex Eco Standard, Green America Gold
- Sleep Trial: 120-night sleep trial
- Firmness: Varies
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Double/Full, Queen, King, Cali King, custom sizes and oversized mattresses available
- Best for: Everyone (including vegans!)
- Customized support options
- More sustainably made using rubber tree sap
- Made in Canadian GOLS/GOTS certified factory
- Carries most important green mattress certifications
- 20-year warranty and 120-night sleep trial on most designs
- Range of mattresses up to 14-inch deep
- Suits different sleep styles and body types
- Removable, washable cover
- High cost compared to similar quality mattresses
- Can’t swap out layers for ongoing customiation
- Pseudoscience and fearmongering used to increase price
- Not transparent about mattress builds
- Some models are only 8-inch – too shallow for heavier adults
- Not Made Safe certified non-toxic
- Some designs aren’t returnable
- Return fee of 9%
All Essentia mattresses are vegan, including the more affordable Lifestyle Collection, the pricier Performance mattresses, and the incredibly expensive ProCor P1 customized mattress.
We recommend the Stratami and Tatami Lifestyle mattresses for lighter to average weight adults, and the REM5 and REM9 Performance mattresses for adults who are heavier, side-sleepers, or who have back pain or who tend to sleep very hot.
The Performance mattresses are available in two support options, Mid Contour (best for lighter to average weight adults) and Fior Contour (best for heavier adults and anyone needing deeper spinal support).
The ProCor P1 mattress is customized to each sleeper, but the customization process is rather… strange. Read more about it in our review.
Every Essentia mattress is non-toxic, made in Canada, and GOTS certified.
Highlight: A pure organic cotton futon suitable for vegans, with no wool, latex, or chemical flame retardants. Offers firm support, ideal for stomach- and back-sleepers. Available in Twin to Cali King and in 1.5-inch to 8-inch thicknesses.
At a glance:
- Pricing: $561 – $4,574 (5-inch Queen $2,594)
- Materials: USDA organic cotton, nylon thread
- Certifications: USDA organic
- Sleep Trial: N/A and no returns
- Depth: 1.5-inch massage mat, 3-inch Stowaway, 5-inch Futon, 6-inch Mattress, 7-inch Mattress, 8-inch Mattress
- Sizes: Twin, Full/Double, Queen, Eastern King, Twin XL, and Cali King, cushion/mattress sample available
- Best for: Average to heavier adult stomach-sleepers and some back-sleepers
- Available in a wide range of sizes and depths
- Wool-free and vegan
- American-made with U.S.-grown organic cotton (USDA)
- Custom made to order
- Sample cushion available
- Ships faster than the Pastoral Savvy Rest futon
- Too firm for most adults, especially lighter individuals
- Not GOTS, Made Safe, or Eco Institut certified
- Very heavy in larger sizes!
The Fairhaven is a very firm futon made purely of organic cotton grown in the U.S. and entirely free of hazardous chemicals. This firm, heavy futon is ideal for average to heavier stomach-sleepers and some back-sleepers. Lighter adults may also like this futon, but most will want more plushness.
Note that this futon is really heavy and handmade to order. It ships within 10-14 days of ordering, typically, and ships free in the contiguous U.S.
Note, too, that the Fairhaven is entirely free of flame retardants, which means you’ll need a doctor’s prescription for any thickness over five inches.
What Not to Buy
I like to focus on the positives here at Leaf Score, so I don’t usually call out companies by name as ones to avoid. But, given the vast difference in eco-friendliness between the fantastic vegan mattresses we recommend and others that get a lot of attention, a word or two of warning seems wise.
Some popular vegan mattresses are greenwashed as being eco-friendly but are actually made with polyurethane foam. Notable examples include the Crystal Cove Mattress by Brentwood Home and Haven’s vegan mattresses.
Brentwood Home’s mattress is a hybrid coil and foam design made with some organic latex but also “activated charcoal infused memory foam”. The Haven mattresses are made with CertiPur plant-based foam that’s just polyfoam with some soy oil in the mix. Haven also boasts planting a tree you can name with each mattress purchase. Planting a tree likely costs Haven less than a dollar and isn’t necessarily good for the planet.
Skip the greenwashing and check out which important mattress certifications actually matter. Then rest easy on a genuinely non-toxic, eco-friendly, top quality vegan mattress.
In order to meet federal fire safety requirements in the U.S., most organic, non-toxic mattresses feature a layer of wool as a natural flame barrier. This is to replace the toxic flame retardant chemicals more commonly found in less eco-friendly, non-organic mattresses.
Some non-vegan mattress brands can work with you to create a vegan mattress without wool. However, for mattresses sold in the U.S. that are 5-inches deep or more this usually requires a doctor’s note stating you have a wool allergy. A 5-inch mattress won’t be comfortable for most adults, though, as it will bottom out. This means you’ll be able to feel the bed slats or base beneath, which can put pressure on your joints.
To satisfy fire regulations in the U.S., mattress makers can create a vegan mattress with a Kevlar sock as a synthetic flame barrier. This is the most expensive approach, with natural and synthetic chemical flame retardants also in use to meet the requirements.
Mattress makers don’t have to declare all materials on the law label of a mattress, just those comprising more than 1% of the mattress. This means it’s not always clear what kind of flame retardant a mattress manufacturer uses. If the information isn’t readily available, the best approach is to ask the company directly.
Mattresses (vegan or otherwise) that are under 5-inches deep don’t have to meet the same strict fire safety rules as deeper mattresses in the U.S.