With toddlers (and life in general), though, mattresses face an onslaught of sweat, spit-up, spills, and other insults.
To extend the life of your mattress and keep things clean and hygienic for the whole family, I strongly recommend using a non-toxic, organic mattress protectors. And if your comfort level needs an upgrade or you want an extra layer of protection, consider adding a mattress pad to the mix too.
To help you find mattress protectors and pads made without synthetic materials and toxic chemicals, we offer in-depth reviews of products we know and love.
Wherever possible, every protector and pad we recommend at Leaf Score has been personally tested by the team. Each product meets our exceptionally high standards for sustainability, safety, and comfort, according to our leaf rating system.
We check that every green certification is valid and that brands are not greenwashing their products. We also ask brands directly about their sustainability efforts and get a good feel for those that genuinely care about protecting people, planet, and mattresses.
The Best Non-Toxic Mattress Protectors
There’s no shortage of mattress protectors out there, but not many make our cut. Those that do tend to fall into one of two categories: Wool puddle pads and certified organic mattress protectors with a thin layer of polyurethane.
Check out our reviews for each below and see the sidebar menu for additional product reviews as we post them:
- Avocado Green Mattress Cover [Staff tried and tested] – Review
- Avocado Green Waterproof Mattress Protector – Review
- Naturepedic Organic Waterproof Protector Pads – Review
- Turmerry Wool Waterproof Mattress Protector Pad – Review
- Shepherd’s Dream Wool Puddle Pad [Staff tried and tested] – Review
We also look at the best non-toxic bed bug and dust-mite mattress protector encasements:
- Sleep & Beyond Organic Cotton Mattress Encasement and Protector – Review
- Lifekind GOTS-Certified Organic Cotton Dust-Mite & Bed-Bug Mattress Barrier Cover – Review
- Goodnight Naturals Organic Cotton Allergy Mattress Encasement – Review.
The Best Non-Toxic Mattress Pads
Mattress pads come in a wide range of sizes, shapes, thicknesses, and materials. We strongly favor those with legitimate organic certifications and entirely natural materials. That tends to mean the pads comprise either wool, cotton, or a combination of both.
As we try out new mattress pads, we’ll add to our reviews. For now, here are some of our favorite non-toxic, organic mattress pads:
- Savvy Rest Wool Mattress Pad – Review
- Holy Lamb Organic Cotton Mattress Pad – Review
Final thoughts on mattress pad and protector reviews
- The best safe and sustainable mattress protectors
- The best non-toxic, organic mattress pads.